This comprehensive implementation guide covers every element required to build and sustain a schoolwide RTI at Work™ program.
- Consider why an achievement gap remains in 21st century education and how response to intervention (RTI) can address that gap.
- Review the revised RTI at Work™ pyramid and its three tiers.
- Understand how RTI at Work™ builds on the PLC at Work™ process.
- Learn what roles teacher teams, leadership teams, and schoolwide teams play in an RTI at Work™ intervention structure.
- Understand the differences among intervention, extension, prevention, and enrichment.
- Avoid common missteps when implementing RTI.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The RTI at Work Pyramid
Part One: Tier 1 Essential Actions
Chapter 2: A Culture of Collective Responsibility
Chapter 3: Tier 1 Teacher Team Essential Actions
Chapter 4: Tier 1 Schoolwide Essential Actions
Part Two: Tier 2 Essential Actions
Chapter 5: Tier 2 Teacher Team Essential Actions
Chapter 6: Tier 2 Schoolwide Essential Actions
Part Three: Tier 3 Essential Actions
Chapter 7: Tier 3 Schoolwide Essential Actions
Chapter 8: Tier 3 Intervention Team Essential Actions
Epilogue: Eating the Elephant
Develop a clear path toward your goals by using the free study guide.
- Are We a Group or a Team?
- Building a School Leadership Team
- Building Consensus for Change and Bell Schedule Chart
- Creating Consensus for a Culture of Collective Responsibility
- Creating Consensus Survey
- Forces at Work
- Meeting Agenda Template
- Sample Team Norms
- Simplifying RTI Culture Survey
- Stages of Team Development
- Steps for Establishing Team Norms
- Team Action-Planning Template
- Team Charter
- Team Collaboration Time: Planning Guide and Schedule
- The Trust on Our Team Survey
- Common Assessment Team Protocol
- Criteria for Selecting Essential Standards
- Deconstructing Standards
- Essential Standards Chart
- Essential Standards Student Tracking Chart
- Essential Standards Unit Plan
- Key Strategies and Language Good Coaches Use
- Sample Common Formative Assessment for Persuasive Writing
- Sample Data for Persuasive Writing
- Sample ELA Essential Standards Unit Plan
- Sample Mathematics Essential Standards Unit Plan
- Student-Friendly Language
- Team Protocol for Common Formative Assessment
- Team Response for Common Formative Assessment
- Culture Creation: Collective Responsibility and Schoolwide Systems Building
- Ensuring Access to Essential Grade-Level Curriculum
- How Do We Establish Common Expectations?
- How Do We Reinforce Positive Behavior?
- How Do We Target Instruction?
- Implementing Schoolwide Positive Behavior Supports
- Preventions to Proactively Support Student Success
- KASAB Chart
- RTI at Work Pro-Solve Intervention Monitoring Plan: Tier 1 and Tier 2
- RTI at Work Pro-Solve Intervention Targeting Process: Tier 1 and Tier 2
- Creating Flexible Time Worksheet: Critical Considerations
- Establishing a Process for Schoolwide Student Intervention Identification
- Reasons Why Students Might Fail to Complete Homework
- Supplemental Interventions for Essential Academic and Social Behaviors: Critical Questions
- Using Flexible Time Well
- Building a Site Intervention Team
- Dimensions of Success
- Intervention Evaluation and Alignment Chart
- Intervention Evaluation and Alignment Chart Protocol
- RTI at Work Pro-Solve Intervention Monitoring Plan: Tier 3
- RTI at Work Pro-Solve Intervention Targeting Process: Tier 3
- Universal Screening Planning Guide
- Critical Questions for Special Education Identification
- Ensuring Proper Intensity for Tier 3 Interventions
Books and DVDs
- Buffum, A., & Mattos, M. (2015). It’s About Time: Planning Interventions and Extensions in Elementary School. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Weber, C. (2009). Pyramid Response to Intervention: RTI, Professional Learning Communities, and How to Respond When Kids Don’t Learn. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Weber, C. (2012). Simplifying Response to Intervention: Four Essential Guiding Principles. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., Weber, C., & Hierck, T. (2015). Uniting Academic and Behavior Interventions: Solving the Skill or Will Dilemma. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Conzemius, A. E., & O’Neill, J. (2014). The Handbook for SMART School Teams: Revitalizing Best Practices for Collaboration (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J., Heflebower, T., Hoegh, J. K., Warrick, P., & Grift, G. (2016). Collaborative Teams That Transform Schools: The Next Step in PLCs. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Mattos, M. (2017). Timebomb: The Cost of Dropping Out [DVD]. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Mattos, M., & Buffum, A. (2015). It’s About Time: Planning Interventions and Extensions in Secondary School. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Mattos, M., DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., & Many, T. W. (2016). Concise Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About Professional Learning Communities at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Muhammad, A. (2018). Transforming School Culture: How to Overcome Staff Division (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.